cali≠gari

If you mean like songs that haven’t been re-recorded with Shuuji-2 then yeah, those are pretty much all of them. Some more odds and ends for completion’s sake:

• the hidden track on “Dai 5 jikkenshitsu yokokuban” known as ○○○○○○ (basically a members’ comment followed by a noisy punky cover of Kenichi Mikawa’s 1972 song “Sasoriza no onna”)
  • “Scatolo”, the short bonus track on the “Dai 3 jikkenshitsu” single
1 Like

Excuse me linking my dismal streaming platform of choice, but it appears Kenjiro’s re-recorded solo album MAG-NET has made its way to digital!

1 Like

Passing thought: After 12 years of listening to me listen to one of the most melodic, chaotic, diverse bands around and hating it, my wife has finally gotten into cali≠gari and I couldn’t be happier.

5 Likes

Next step:GOATBED :goat: :sleeping_bed: :heart:

She was asking about them! It’s only a matter of time now.

I think GB can easily like for who aren’t in vk just bc they don’t sound vk at all😂

Do you ever just lay in bed and think to yourself how weird it is that Cali Gari released two versions of Dokei, Suiren to Himawari that are so slightly different from one another? I’ve pretty much committed to listening to the FC version, since I decided that one sounded a little better - maybe - via quick comparison when I first got the album. Listening to the standard version is slightly unnerving now, and yet the differences are so insignificant.

2 Likes

Actually yeah, I think I prefer that ‘alternative’ version of the mini album too! Truth be told, it’s among my top least favorite c-g releases probably, but the feel of the FC ver. is more appealing to me overall (a bit more interesting and exciting tweaks applied to otherwise kinda meh/okay-ish songs).

2 Likes

New band pic to coincide with their summer tour announcement:

:rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit:

3 Likes

There will be an extra men’s only 45min gig on 28th Jun at 10pm (tickets sold separately). The 27th Aug gig will start 1 hour earlier to accommodate more songs (if I read it correctly)

3 different CDs will be distributed for this tour.
Every time you attend a gig, you will receive 1 postcard unique to the venue. Collect 2 postcards and you can redeem either Type A or Type B CD. Please note that you cannot redeem Type A or B CD at the Zepp Shinjuku Tour final gig.

Type C CD will be given to attendees after the Zepp Shinjuku Tour final gig.

So essentially you got to attend 5 gigs to collect all 3 CDs. Not sure if you can choose Type A or B though.

Time to stalk mecari…

2 Likes

type A, B, and C singles

i’m tired, sakurai-san

2 Likes

It’s a very Kisaki thing :joy: but not really a cali one!:joy::flushed:
Lately privilege/free dist. was just a re rec or a different ver. of an original one…
Well let’s see!

For cali gari’s 25th anniversary, they re-recorded the 3 singles after they went major and distributed them at 3 different venues so it’ll most likely be re-recordings as well for this. I’m guessing singles after they revived in 2009.

At least its not a digital download but the 25th anniversary CDs were going for 20000+ yen for 1 CD in mercari (though the prices die down eventually due to the same 3 songs being collected in another elusive release) so it’ll be interesting to observe the upcoming chaos heh heh

1 Like

Not relevant to the current discussion whatsoever, but 10 & 11 are my favorite albums by this group. 電気睡蓮 is one of the prettiest songs I’ve ever heard in my life. Their ballad-ish songs are underrated IMO. 東京、40時29分59秒 is a close contender for my other favorite!

5 Likes

10 & 11 are great! I’m still impressed how good of a comeback album 10 was with so many catchy tunes, and 11 is a worthy followup imo (with the equally powerful ≠ mini inbetween).

1 Like

It’s hard to properly rate their ballads since they’re pretty rare. I’ve been starting to like Tokyo Byou a lot, even though it’s a million years long.

I don’t know I could ever choose another cali ballad over Tadaima tho

3 Likes

Tadaima is OP

1 Like

This one always hits me hard when the synths come in. Absolutely euphoric. ≠ is my favorite release of that era though—such a tight mini-album.

I also finally listened to the 10 rebuild and it’s very interesting. Are we certain it’s not a rerecording?

1 Like

As far as I know it’s only supposed to be a remix job. Really cool what they brought out of the material for the Rebuild (even if I don’t listen to it as much as the more familiar-feeling original).

Speaking of ballads btw, I usually don’t like 'em, but the 'gari boys have some good ones, or at least incorporate more interesting elements into them than the average band. On the 13 album when that super-distorted guitar solo hits in 深夜、貨物ヤード裏の埠頭からコンビナートを眺めていた (and those hypnotic reverby vocals mmm)… :ok_hand: :weary: :heart:

1 Like

Are there many known details around Bald Shuuji’s departure? All that I can gather is that he disappeared and it would’ve been around the time they were making Blue Film.