Favourite groups from your homeland

I’ve been listening to a lot of witch-house and post-punk lately, I’ll add a couple of songs that I remembered at this point in my life. The latter is closer to new-wave, synth-wave or retro-wave.

2 Likes

I don’t listen many french music, but there’s some good bands nevertheless.

Blackrain

Ultravomit ( humoristic band)

Gojira

1 Like

CRADLE OF FILTH

3 Likes

So… I have The Most Basic taste when it comes to brazilian bands but hey someone had to do it

For 80s bands Legião Urbana is my favorite, followed by Barão Vermelho (honorable mentions to Titãs, Kid Abelha and Paralamas do Sucesso too - arguably the big 5 lol.)

For 90s I like Detonautas the most (but I like Skank and CBJR a lot too)

For 00s I liked cough Restart - the local variant of ‘questionable oshare meets scene kids’ (including how most ppl who claimed to hate it now regret what they did bc shittier music happened)

For 10s I like Terno Rei the most - they’re what I think a present-day Legião Urbana would sound / feel like so yeah I like them

For non-(strictly?-)rock bands off the top of my head I like Cidade Negra and O Teatro Mágico the most

(incidentally I am sharing all of this bc it’s 3:40 am now and I am insomniac haha work anxiety go brrr :clown_face: )

1 Like

I remember them playing more chill rock, so having this as an album opener kicked me in a nuts in a good way.

1 Like
3 Likes
4 Likes

One is of my favourite, if not my favourite, band from Greece is Τα Ξύλινα Σπαθιά. Their name is translated as “The Wooden Swords”.

One of their most famous songs titled “The King of Dust” in English.

Also, we have Rotting Christ and Septicflesh and Firewind :slight_smile:

Here is something on the Gothic side.

And here for some Punk.

3 Likes

Oh my there really is no groups that I like but rather folk singers. Shit this pisses me off! And I can’t rip cassettes so no one will have any idea what I mean, actually it would be a terrible idea.

We have She Past Away and Jakuzi, they represent new-wave of Turkish music very well imo.

4 Likes

I usually don’t like the pop that comes from my country (Italy), but La rappresentante di lista produce very good pop (and pretty varied in subgenres as well)

Starting with my favorite of all their song-MVs combo (the brash voice she uses in this is not her usual singing voice).

2 Likes

artschool (MA cinematography) realness!!! I don’t particularly love the music but the videos omg they have it all… the smartphone screen ratio… the pretense… the art… the delivery… she has really nice vocals.

1 Like

Ahh I do even own a few CD’s of Itchy… from the time they called itchy poopzkid
And I also watched that show Band Trip :blush: was really good show.

And I do not have any favorite artist of my own country. There are some songs I like but not that I am a fan of anyone.

I love this topic! I tried listening to a little bit of everything y’all posted.

Really liked the first song!

She Past Away :black_heart: I missed my chance when they came to São Paulo last October.
Jakuzi also sounds cool.

Cool!

I like some Δαιμόνια Νύμφη stuff. Are they any popular in their country?

@etrange so much stuff! Already hooked on the first song. :black_heart:

Cidade Negra has some really memorable songs. O Erê, Amor igual ao teu, Pensamento, A Estrada…

My husband’s into mental and really likes them. I have to admit that they have some cool songs, even if their style is not my usual cup of tea. :upside_down_face:

Loved it!

The second song is nice :slight_smile:

And I feel like a teenager again, listening to the only rock station there was on the radio. Nostalgic.

Again not my favorite kind of music, but I really like that song with Anitta and the other girl, a do foguete saindo da atmosfera (?) something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

Classic :bat:

Really liked this one!

Another one to add to the playlist I’ll make out of all the recommendations. Also, sorry, but I’ll skip the metal vids :upside_down_face:

I had never heard of Falco before, but I’ll definitely give them a listen - the same with Crystal Soda Cream and Mala Herba. Also, The Devil & The Universe and Soap&Skin are excellent.

6 Likes

@Imagica, КИТАЙ (KIT-I) “После дождя”, рок-версия: such an early 2000s vibe!
Альянс - На заре is cool. I’ll check the other vids later.

I can’t understand the lyrics, but the song is nice.

What language is it?

I think I’m gonna watch the whole video only 'cause of them cats :black_heart:

I liked this Lexie Liu.

I really like that about languages! :slight_smile: Translating is no easy job. I’ll give Caparezza a try. In fact, what does Caparezza mean?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never heard of them before, nice!

:dancer: :dancer:

LOLZ :joy: Too bad I can’t fully appreciate it since it’s too tied to Canadian culture.

I googled it and it’s an instrument (?)

Sounds cool!

YES

Awesome!

Catchy!

MAN I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN
That line is immortalized with me. It was a big hit here in Brazil.
And thanks, now I recognize another one of Shania’s songs. :slight_smile:

A classic is a classic :black_heart:

Another band with an early 2000s vibe :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Yolŋu Matha, a group of languages spoken in northern Australia!

2 Likes

Okay! It took me about 40 minutes to listen to bits of mostly everything that’s been shared so far. Now I’ll represent Brazil alongside @Anon308 and @ritsu:

If you’re into punk, As Mercernárias from São Paulo:

(Polícia - Police (quite obvious, but there is such a thing as false cognates))

They are on Spotify even though their name is misspelled: Spotify

Post-punk: Vzyadoq Moe, also from São Paulo. Their name was made up and does not mean anything. What’s so original about this band is that they mixed Brazilian rhythms such as samba with post-punk.

(Iansã is an orishá - an African Goddess- also called Ọya in Yorùbá.)

Also on Spotify: Spotify

Also post-punk + psychedelic: RAKTA is an experimental band (AGAIN FROM SÃO PAULO) that has even toured abroad:

Rakta on Spotify: Spotify

There is too much stuff punk/post-punk/deathrock/darkwave that I would like to share, but there would be too many videos :upside_down_face:

I’ll only share two more bands:

Visual kei: Brazil has seen a few visual kei bands, and the first Brazilian visual band originated from Rio de Janeiro:

And for those that like metal, Arandu Arakuaa mixes metal with Brazilian rhythms. Here’s what I like so much about them: They sing in tupi and other languages spoken by indigenous peoples that have inhabited this territory long before the Europeans came.

That’s it. Hope y’all enjoy at least one of my recommendations. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe because they formed in 2001 :wink:

Yeah i watched them on band trip too
Against Madsen

2 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

Now I’m off to create a playlist with all recommendations I enjoyed :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It mean Curly-head (capa=head rezza=curly) in pugliese dialect.

1 Like