Horror Movies

Scream 5 leaned very heavy into the tropes from hipster horror movies of the 2010s, and namedropped four of my favorites from the decade in the first scene. It definitely plays to a certain kind of modern horror fan - and I could see those who are exhausted with meta, self-referential storytelling getting annoyed with this one - but I’m exactly that kind of horror fan so I loved it.

Tested positive for covid on tuesday, so I’ve had loads of time on my hand and watched a few movies. Mainly oldies, and I’ve been enjoying the living hell out of it. Some of them I have seen before, but a few were new to me. One thing I love about these are the length of them, with few lasting much more than an hour. It fits these type of movies so well.

The Raven (1935)
This should be known for most people interested in horror, even if you’ve never seen it. The film get its title from Edgar Allan Poe’s classic poem The Raven, but it’s not actually based on it. It’s more loosely based on Poe’s “The Pit and the Pendulum”. The film stars none other than Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi, and their chemistry is truly on a whole other level. They play off each other so god damn well, and both are amazing in their roles. The rest of the cast is also really good, and it’s got a really tight direction. Looks really good, and is superbly paced.

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
Robert Florey was originally set to direct Frankenstein with Bela Lugosi as the monster, but they got replaced and as a means to soften the blow they got to make this movie instead. Takes its title from another Edgar Allan Poe story, but isn’t based on it. Only a few elements remains. This is a really cool film with Bela Lugosi in proper form. But the real start of the movie is the set designs, and legendary cinematography by Karl Freund (The Golem , Metropolis, Dracula). This movie LOOKS insane, and if you turn the sound off and play it with some weird avant-garde or something you’ll be left thinking this is a German film from the 1920’s, because the German expressionism is strong in this film. Well worth a look for the imagery and set alone. So atmospheric!

The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942)
Horror-comedy starring Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre, both whom are excellent. The film is a bit of an oddball comedy, and when it hits it hits, but when it misses it really misses. Main problem here is the script. It feels rushed, and as if they didn’t quite think it through. If you’re a Karloff and Lorre fan you’ll get something out of it, but if you’re not then you’ll most likely be left disappointed.

The Devil Commands (1941)
Beautifully paced horror with Boris Karloff as a mad scientist getting lost because of grief. Boris Karloff carries this film on his shoulders, and he is so good. Absolute top notch performance, but that is as expected from someone like him. Looks great, plays great and is overall very awesome.

The Black Room (1935)
Boris Karloff stars in a dual role playing a set of twins. It’s nice and atmospheric, with a hint of gothic horror. Boris Karloff again steals the show. The man truly was out of this world.

The Black Cat (1934)
Nice, atmospheric horror film starring Karloff and Lugosi. This is actually one of the first movies with an almost continuous music score which really gave it something special. It is also one of the first examples of a psychological horror movie, Its title is taken from Edgar Allan Poe’s short story by the same, but has little to nothing to do with it. Karloff and Lugosi are both brilliant, and the way they play off each other is just incredible. Their chemistry truly is something to be witnessed. Nice, atmospheric movie.

The Man with Nine Lives (1940)
Boris Karloff again as a mad scientist, this time one who wants to do good bus is lost in his work. I’m loving the underground sets, and Karloff again carries the film. The rest of the cast is good, but he’s out of this world as usual. So god damn good!

I also watched a couple of newer oldies:

The Comedy of Terrors (1963)
Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff in one and the same movie. That is an insane cast! Two of them will forever appear on my top 10 actors list (Price and Karloff), but also Lorre and Rathbone was immense actors. This one is a horror comedy, and it hits the nail on its head for most of its playtime. Vincent Price is well-known for his campy acting style, and it fits a horror comedy like this like a hand in a glove. This is over the top, silly and slapstick, and it’s fantastic. Truly hilarious movie, but it also got a certain horror vibe of it, much due to Vincent Price’s campy acting. Fantastic film, and a must-see for any fan of horror comedies.

The Oblong Box (1969)
Vincent Price and Christopher Lee starring in a movie named after an Edgar Allan Poe short story by the same name, but has nothing to do with his writing at all. The movie however is a superb horror film in which Vincent Price is his campy self, and Christopher Lee is his serious self. They don’t have many scenes together, but yet they manage to play off each other so, so well throughout the film. It kinda loses its focus about 2/3rds into the film, but it actually just makes it stronger because it adds a certain weirdness to it. Really fun stuff!

I recent also watched these movies:

La noche de Walpurgis (1971)
Or The Werewolf vs. The Vampire Woman, as it was called in the US. This movie often gets credited with starting the 1970’s horror boom in Spain, and it’s easy to understand why it was so popular. It’s simply different from other movies at the time. It’s dreamy and otherworldly, and it really feels very different. Apparently some of the scenes were filmed in slow motion, that really helps build this dreamy vibe. This is the fifth movie in a long-running series of werewolf movies about Waldemar Daninsky, starring Paul Naschy as Waldemar Daninsky.

Death Walks at Midnight 1972
Very cool giallo with a superb visual style and a nice mystery. It’s somewhat campy, but I love camp so that is something that sits well with me. Like most giallo’s it’s not always very consistent in tone and story telling, but it works fine as it is. Gianni Ferrio’s score is brilliant.

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
Shusuke Kaneko’s Heisei Gamera is truly fantastic. It serves as a reboot, and whereas the original Gamera was very much a child friendly movie, this just makes things a lot darker. The monster designs and their suits for all three movies are amazing, the monster action are brilliant and the plots and its characters are very good.

It’s not quite as good as the very best Godzilla movies out there (Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Destroyer or Godzilla vs. Biolante), or but it’s absolutely up there with the second best ones (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla).

My only really complaint is that there is some CGI, but it’s minor really. And while it doesn’t look as good as modern CGI like in the American Godzilla movies, it’s still better simply because it’s charming and very much a product of its time. The important parts are still practical, unlike in the American kaiju movies which is big, fat CGI parties.

Watched Scream 5 today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s pushing the meta aspect of the franchise even further , and is in many ways just 2 hours of fan service. But it works, and it’s really entertaining. Is it predictable? Yeah, it is, so the whodunit aspect of it isn’t very convincing. But I’m not sure it was meant to be anyway, considering how predictable it was? But who gives a fuck, most movies are predictable as hell.

Overall very enjoyable. I was never in doubt tho as Radio Silence has been looking good for years now, topping it with the masterpiece that is Ready or Not.

1 Like

Realized it was time to dig into some newer horror movies, because I’ve not really watched as much as should have over the past years. Watched a lot, but more oldies.

Meander
I saw someone call this “Cube in a tube”, and that is somewhat spot on. It kinda feels like a Cube spin off. It’s dark, bleak and very, very intense and claustrophobic. It sports a small cast, mostly driven by Gaia Weiss who has 95% of the screen time all alone, and she’s just wonderful. Great performance. Love the setting and I thought the sound design was immense. This should be watched on either great surround speakers or great headphones. Really liked this film. Superb special effects too.

Shadow in the Cloud
Another movie with a small cast, and it is mostly driven by a fantastic Chloë Grace Moretz who spends most of the first 55 minutes inside a gun turret, and we barely get a look at the rest of the cast before a bit later. It’s an action horror film, and they manage to capture something intense and fantastic here. I wish they’d dug a bit deeper into some of the elements, and I wish the ending was toned down a bit. It got very, very over the top, and I wish it didn’t. But I really enjoyed it.

Slaxx
Possessed killer pants. Yeah, you read that correctly. It’s as absurd as it sounds, but the first 50 minutes or so where really damn cool. Bloody, gory and really fun. Lost me a bit towards the end, but never got bad. If you enjoy really absurd stuff like Rubber, this one’s for you.

All the Colors of Giallo
Documentary about giallos. It’s short, so it doesn’t cover the genre as deep as one would like, but it features great interviews with directors, actors, screenwriters and film historians like Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava, Sergio Martino, Umberto Lenzi, Barbara Bouchet, Edwige Fenech, Ernesto Gastaldi, George Hilton and more, so you do get to see a lot of important people talk about the genre.

But because it is short, it only really features the beginning of the genre and its roots, and mainly the bigger movies. Should’ve been a few hours longer so it could’ve dug deeper into the genre. But it’s well worth a watch anyway. The film historian who was doing the majority of talking was super interesting. Had so much info to come with.

The Nightmare
Documentary that focuses on sleep paralysis, and features interviews with a handful of people talking about their experience with it, as well as re-creations of what they have experienced. It’s interesting, and at times chilly, but it lacks some more depth to it. It should probably have included some interviews with people who have more knowledge of what sleep paralysis actually is and all. But it was good.

Come True
Super cool flick that was let down by a silly ending. It’s slow-burning, but mostly really effective with it’s Cronenbergian influences, visually stunning cinematography and a great, synth heavy score. But the ending, man. Such a disappointment. I get that there’s a deeper meaning and symbolism and all, but it still didn’t work out IMO.

Francesca
Finally got my hands on this, and it was some movie for sure. I had already seen, and truly loved, Luciano Onetti’s Abrakadabra, so I was really looking forward to this. It was great, but nowhere close to Abrakadabra. Both movies are neo-giallos, but Abrakadabra played a bit more straight-forward while Francesca takes a more artsy and weird route to town. But if you’re a giallo maniac and like strange movies as well, it’s highly recommended.

Also, I can’t wait for El pulpo negro by the same man. I have no idea what it’s gonna be like, but THIS poster makes me really curious.

Hellbender
Coming of age folk horror made on a tiny budget by a family? Yep, right. It’s written and co-directed by John Adams, Zelda Adams and Toby Poser, and stars Zelda Adams and Toby Poser in the leading roles, and the likes of Lulu Adams and John Adams in lesser roles (as well as other family members). Yeah, a proper family affair as John Adams and Toby Poser are husband and wife, and Zelda Adams and Lulu Adams being their daughters. And together they make movies under the name Wonder Wheel Productions. And whenever none of them are in the scenes, they take turns being part of the crew and help behind the camera.

It’s a bit of a slow-burn, but it’s beautifully pierced together by a good script, good acting, nice, snappy dialogue, wonderful editing and superb special effects. It’s by no means a perfect movie, and a bit too rooted in drama for my personal taste, and I wish it went even further into the horror genre and spent even more time with psychedelic visuals, because that is when the movie really shines.

1 Like

I watched The Cursed in a theater this week. It was amazing. There were a number of ways I was expecting the movie to end but the ending took me by surprise and the movie as a whole definitely wasn’t what I was expecting. The mood was pretty heavy throughout and there were some fairly disturbing scenes. I like how it took some aspects of religion/folklore and made its own thing. And the sound blew me away. It’s definitely the best sound mix I’ve heard in a theater. Sounds would move from the front of the theater to the back and vice versa, and sometimes even move behind me. It’s one of the best horror movies I’ve seen in a long time.

Night Monster
A lesser known Universal horror movie starring Ralph Morgan, Irene Hervey and Don Porter, and with Bela Lugosi and Lionel Atwill in minor roles. It’s basically a remake of Doctor X, but not quite as well. But these 40’s whodunit horror movies really had their own thing going, and this is no different. Great atmosphere, it looks really good and is superbly acted. Really, really liked it!

Hellmouth
Interesting horror movie that looks interesting (think Sin City), and is mostly filmed in front of a green screen. And that gives it a very cool vibe, because they never go as far as to make it look very realistic and real. It’s very comic book-esque, but it kinda falls aparts towards the end of the movie. The third act didn’t quite live up to the two first, and it suffers greatly because of it. But I did like it quite a lot anyway.

The Stylist
The whole slasher genre is pretty much known for being kinda dumb and silly and over the top, and it often is. The characters are paper thin, the plot is there just to get some kills etc. There’s absolutely no doubt about it, and that is also the reason why I love it so much. I mean, you also have Halloween, Black Christmas and more which is way more than a dumb, cheap thrill, but they are more the exception to the rule tbh.

The Stylist however is a really deep slasher in which the director and writers have put a lot of thought into the characters, the plot and how to put it together. It’s a horror movie and a slasher for sure, but heavily rooted in drama, which is more often than not, not my favorite, which also goes for this. I can see the greatness in it, but there is just too much straight-forward drama for my liking. But it’s a really well-made film. It’s well-written, well-directed and superbly acted. And it’s got a lot of message, which a lot of us adults will find it easy to recognize. Not my favorite slasher, but one that does deserve a big audience for sure. I’m giving it a weak 7/10, but if I were to be objective I’d probably say a strong 8 or maybe a 9.

The Retreat
This is more my cup of tea. It’s simple, straight-forward and with lots of dumb stuff. I guess I’d call this a survival slasher, but I don’t know. But it’s good and offered up a lot of fun. It’s very familiar and you can see where it’s going fairly early, but that doesn’t mean much. This was good!

Corpse Mania
Shaw Brothers are mainly known for producing martial arts movies, but like Hammer Film Productions who’s mainly known for their Hammer Horror movies, Shaw Brothers also did other things. Horror was one of them, and they were damn good at it. Corpse Mania is one of their non-martial arts movies and it’s absolutely tremendous. This is pretty much a Hong Kong giallo and it’s slick and stylish, and the cinematography and sets are insanely well-done. The way they play around with mist and shadows are like ripped straight out of a classic Mario Bava movie, and the plot and story is, like in a lot of giallo movies, not the main selling point. I thought this was a flawed fucking masterpiece. Really amazing!

Who is Bill Rebane?
A nice little documentary about Bill Rebane, a director none have really heard about. If you’re like me and just fucking love low-budget horror and sci-fi movies that’s generally considered to be really bad and cult-as-fuck, then you might know who he is. But most people are not into that type of films, so this is gonna be a nobody for y’all. Bill Rebane made movies like Monster a Go-Go, The Giant Spider Invasion, The Capture of Bigfoot and Blood Harvest. This documentary takes a look at the life of this cult figure, and it’s generally very fun and entertaining. I believe it was made during the covid lockdown and suffers so much from it, because a lot of the interviews looks and sounds awful. It’s done over video chat, and the people who have set it up (probably just the interviewees themselves) just hasn’t spent enough time making it look OK. Which is a real shame. But highly recommended nonetheless.

The Last Matinee / Red Screening
Uruguayan horror movies made on a budget of 350k, which means very low-budget. The director has described this as a tribute to classic gialli and slasher movies, but make no mistake: this movie is 100% a giallo movie. People who are not into gialli will just see this as a slasher, but anyone who’s watched 5+ classic gialli will see it as a pure giallo.

The story is straight-forward, but visually it carries all the classic traits of a giallo with black gloves, Dario Argento-esque use of colors, beautiful Mario Bava-esque kills and cinematography reminiscent of both of them. Suspenseful, atmospheric, beautiful and a real pleasure on the eye.

Top 10 horror movies of the 2000’s for sure. Immense!

Cube (2021)
A Japanese remake of the Canadian cult classic. Why? Just why? Is it a bad movie? No, it’s not. But it’s pointless, because there is a Cube out there and this just isn’t different enough. It’s Cube with less interesting characters, a lot less suspense and atmosphere, and it lacks the mystery. It just doesn’t add anything of value to the movie or franchise, so therefore it’s completely pointless. Pass!

Studio 666
I’ve never been a fan of Foo Fighters, but I’ve always been a huge fan of Dave Grohl, so I was waiting for this. And I wasn’t disappointed. Was better than I had expected tbh. Dave Grohl is a great actor, and even tho the rest of the band is a bit hit and miss the chemistry between them makes it work. I’d trim away around 20 minutes, but I was never bored during the film. Some fun jokes, some exceptional practical effects etc. A bit basic story, but who gives a fuck? Recommended. Splatter fun!

Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell
Fucking YES! Japanese movie that was made in the mid-90’s, but not released before 2012 when it was bootlegged. But it got an official release a few years later, and man was it deserved. It did caught my attention back in the mid 2010’s or so because of its title, which just has to be one of the most badass movie titles ever.

Shinichi Fukazawa wrote, directed and stars in this splatter film that is promoted as the Japanese Evil Dead, which is a fairly accurate description. But add a dose of Hausu in the mix too. It’s amateurish, and young Shinichi Fukazawa clearly did not have the skills and creativity of Sam Raimi, but it’s still really fucking awesome. It clocks in at only 60 minutes, and it takes some time to get going. But as soon as it got going it was crazy good. I fucking loved this! 100% recommended for fans of 80’s splatter movies. A fantastic homage to one of the best franchises ever.

The Seed
The Seed is a horror comedy that isn’t really funny, and a satire that just isn’t sharp enough to really work. But yet this somehow work, and I don’t quite know why. The three lead actresses is great and got superb chemistry, the special effects is superb and there’s some trippy scenes that really works. Like…really, really works. The last 30 minutes or so is also very cool, and such it just works. Not a masterpiece, but good and worth a look for sure.

Eight for Silver
A really nice and well-made werewolf movie with a bit of a twist to the myth, which works in its favor. It’s slow-burning and takes it time, but it’s really well done with sets, costumes and actors all being top notch. Loved this little gem of a film.

1 Like

Wake me when you find something scawyier then raisin brownies

The Great Love of Count Dracula
Nice, Spanish gothic vampire movie that plays a long like a sexier and more daring Hammer Horror feature, starring the legend that is Paul Naschy, as well as Rosanna Yanni and Mirta Miller who both appeared in several Paul Naschy movies. It doesn’t offer anything new, but it’s great for what it is, Paul Naschy is superb as always and the girls running around in lingerie for most of the time is also great. Nice atmosphere, visually stunning and really cool. It is a bit of a mess tbh, but who cares? It was awesome!

Killer Rack
Super cheesy horror comedy about a pair of killer boobs. Yup, that is it. Good? No. Smart and clever? No. Fun? Yeah, it was. This was actually directed by Gregory Lamberson who made the melt movie masterpiece that is Slime City back in the late 80s. Fun enough.

Btw anybody knows some pc app that can help me track the movies I watched?

I wanna say maybe IMDB. I think you can add movies to a custom list

Possessor

I loved the movie. It was shot beautifully, visceral, and went deep enough into the idea of self and identity to hold my attention. The main actress also killed in her role (no pun intended, very intended). Highly recommend.

2 Likes

I highly recommend buying this movie.

First off, the movie fucking rules. It’s a late 80’s slasher that feels familiar, but it doesn’t feel like a late 80’s slasher at all. It looks gorgeous, it’s well-directed, written and acted, and it’s just totally awesome. If this had been release just 5 years earlier it would’ve been remembered as one of the great slashers of all time.

Second off, Ghetto Ghouls has a music video in the special features, which makes it a must buy for sure. Ghetto Ghouls? Who the hell is that, you might ask. Well, it is my band,. We play thrash metal/crossover thrash and we pay homage to insanely good or awesome action, horror and exploitation movies. We wrote a song about this fantastic film, and the guys who releases this film just happens to be thrash metal fans and discovered us by chance. Been immensely big fans of the movie we’re quite obviously stoked for this!

2 Likes

Let the Wrong One In
Irish vampire comedy with a proper bite. It’s a tad long, but it’s hilarious and filled with moments where you’ll laugh out loud, it’s got a great story and proper well-written characters, and a great amount of blood and gore. This was hands down fantastic, and don’t let the title scare you away. This is by no means a parody of Let the Right One In or anything. Not at all! Highly recommended!

Dr. Jekyll vs. The Werewolf
Spanish horror movie directed by León Klimovsky, and written and starring the legend that is Paul Naschy. Like all Paul Naschy movies I’ve seen it’s really good. Stylish and really nice looking, well acted and slightly over the top. Main problem here is that the print is faded as hell, but it’s the only one that exists without any cuts. So while faded and of poor quality, the Sinister Cinema simply is the best. Great film!

Also, this is one of the best movie quotes of all time: “I need pleasure… women… lots of women… different women!”

That is quite something, Mr. Hyde.

Tragic Ceremony
Kinda gothic horror from 1972, but kinda not as well. Very dreamlike and weird, but very cool and interesting as well. There’s one scene that is truly out of this world, and I am sure I will remember it for the rest of my life. That scene is well worth the movie alone. It is that fucking good! So the movie is not great, but it’ll good and fun.

Vampire’s Breakfast
Ignore the silly title, this is actually a top notch 80’s horror comedy from Hong Kong, but it never gets as silly as them hopping vampire flicks like Mr. Vampire or Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind (which I also happen to like btw). This lacks the slapstick of those movies and offers a much more balanced horror comedy where both genres kinda gets to shine, but at the same time it isn’t quite as unique or memorable either. But it’s still a great flick which looks great, is superbly acted and is loads of fun.

Queen of Black Magic
The original 1981 movie, and not the Kimo Stamboel remake. This movie stars a fantastic Suzanna, who was Indonesia’s answer to someone like Barbara Steele and appeared in lots of horror movies and stuff. A beloved actress who was amazing in every way, and the movie holds up really well. Some of the special effects shots are just insanely awesome, and it just looks really good. Superb film!

Impetigore
Highly atmospheric and suspenseful supernatural folk horror by none other than the great Joko Anwar. The story is great, the characters are mostly nicely written, well-rounded and fleshed out, the cinematography is beautiful and the special effects are for most part top notch. The first 8-9 minutes of this film is a lesson in how to make a suspenseful scene. It’s out of this world, and it’ll make you jump to the edge of your scene. A masterclass! Joko Anwar is an incredible director and talent!

Scare Campaign
Didn’t know quite what to expect from this, but it looked cool enough so I just had to check it out. And I did not regret it, because this turned out to be bloody awesome. A bit predictable perhaps, but really well-done and I love how it twists and turns and how the mood changes throughout. It’s awesome!

Roh
Gorgeous, slow-burning Malay folk-horror with outstanding cinematography, atmosphere and cast. This film is just nothing short of breathtaking, even though there is a lot things I don’t get because of my own lack of knowledge on Malay folklore. But even without that I really, really liked this. Gorgeous stuff! It’s incredible that this is a low-budget debut movie. Emir Ezwan surely is one talented person. Looking forward to more movies from this guy.

Razorback
Classic ozploitation movie about a wild boar that’s as huge as it is angry. This is quite a classic, and for good reason. It’s really good, and it’s really on point as far as natural horror movies goes. Well-made, fun and cool as fuck. Great stuff!

Alligator
Another natural horror movie, this time about an alligator who’s grown a bit too big because of discarded laboratory dogs injected with growth hormones, which it was kidna fed on. Hah! Anyway, the movie itself is really fun with loads of cheese on top. At times hilarious, but in a good way. Top notch!

Prom Night
Early 80’s slasher with Jamie Lee Curtis, Leslie Nielsen that feels like Carrie meets Halloween meets Saturday Night Fever, or something. It’s slow for being a slasher, and not as violent as I would’ve liked, but it’s unique and got a killer fucking soundtrack which has made it a cult movie. If I am not mistaken, this was made using popular songs of the time, but they did not have the rights to it and got their composer to compose similar songs in about a week or so, and it turned out magnificent. This is overall a really cool film, but the “disco scenes” just makes it worth it alone. Brilliant stuff!

Alone in the Dark
Slasher from 82 that really has stood the test of time. Feels as fresh now as it did 20 years ago. Atmosphere is on point, and the cast of Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Donald Pleasence, Dwight Schultz, and Erland Van Lidth is truly magnificent. A must-see for any fans of slashers.

Fade to Black
Psychological horror comedy that’s lacking slightly in execution, which sucks because the plot itself is fantastic. It’s a bit too long for its own good, and a bit too slow without anything making up for it, but the movie is not bad at all. It’s good fun.

X
I’ve been a massive Ti West fan ever since I saw The House of the Devil, which I to this day consider a top 15, maybe even top 10, horror movie ever, and I am also a huge fan of The Innkeepers and really liked The Sacrament and his segment to V/H/S, Second Honeymoon. I have yet to see In a Valley of Violence, but after having spent the last 8 years directing episodes of different series he returns to horror - and he returns with a motherfucking blast! Movie of the year? Most likely!

X is a slasher that feels like it could’ve been made in 1977. Take a huge part The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a huge part psycho-biddy (or hagsploitation, which I prefer as name!), and a huge part Ti West and you’ve got it. Ti West is not afraid of showing love to the movies that has inspired him, and the movie proudly wears its influences on its sleeve. But at the same time he creates something that is different, something that, no matter if you enjoy it or not, will feel so original that you’ll remember it. Add to that a movie that is superbly shot and edited, well-fucking-acted by a cast consisting of Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, Martin Henderson, Brittany Snow, Owen Campbell, Stephen Ure and Kid Cudi who are all nothing short of brilliant in the film, magnificent practical special effects, and with a superb soundtrack by Tyler Bates and Chelsea Wolfe.

Ti West is nothing short of a horror movie prodigy, and this was a welcomed comeback to horror movies for the man himself. Incredible!

Wyrmwood: Apocalypse
It’s been 7 years since the surprisingly awesome and original Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead, and Wyrmwood: Apocalypse doesn’t really disappoint. Is it as good? No, it isn’t. But it isn’t much worse. Like the first movie it’s a fun, fast-paced post-apocalyptic zombie movie unlike anything you’ve seen before. If you’re into zombies, then both these movies are a must-watch. Fun stuff!

13 Ghosts
I am a huge fan of William Castle, and it sucks that I never got to experience his movies at the cinema with his gimmicks. William Castle is as well known for his gimmicks as his movies, but make no mistake: William Castle was a superb director and movies like House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus and Strait-Jacket has stood the test of time and is just really, really good.

So how about 13 Ghosts? Well, it’s good and fun, but a bit dated. The special effects (ghosts) just doesn’t work as well as they probably did back then. But it’s a cool film, and with no doubt worth a look. The worst of the William Castle movies I’ve seen along with Macabre, but it’s still good fun.

The Golem: How He Came Into the World
Great horror movie from 1920, and a landmark of early German Expressionism. It’s superbly acted and really well shots, with gorgeous sets all around. It’s much more straight forward than both Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu – Eine Symphonie des Grauens, and kinda lacks that weirdness and surreal settings, but it’s atmospheric as hell and just really awesome all around. A must-watch for fans of old horror.

The Wind
Alright mid-80’s semi-slasher with a lot of cool stuff going on. It could’ve been a bit shorter, but I love the setting and the villain. Very cool stuff.

Madman
Cult classic that was originally based upon the urban legend Cropsey maniac, but finding out that The Burning was also basing the script upon that they changed it. This really cool and moody slasher from 1981. Awesome!

Theatre of Blood
Ultra-campy classic from 1973 starring none other than the camp legend himself, Vincent Price. The man himself considered this his best movie as he was always dreaming of playing Shakespeare, and this is heavily inspired by Shakespeare, and while I won’t go as far as to call this his best, it sure is awesome. Over the top, full of camp and really fucking hilarious. Vincent Price was just one of the best!

Outpost: Rise of the Spetsnaz
The third and last movie in the Outpost trilogy about nazi zombies and shit. It was slightly better than the second, although not as good as the first one. But I love nazi occultism and shit in movies, so that makes me appreciate it a bit more than most others.

Shock Waves
Another movie involving nazi zombies, this one however is from 1977 and stars legends Peter Cushing and John Carradine. It’s pretty fun, but it’s kinda lacking in some departments. Love the zombies in this one, as they’re pure fucking cheese!

Phenomena
Fantastic Dario Argento horror starring Jennifer Connelly and Donald Pleasence. It’s a bit of a strange movie, this, but it’s really cool and filled with great cinematography, kills and atmosphere. Not Argento’s best, but really good anyway.

Gotta love Shock Waves and Phenomena! :monkey_face:

I’ve been hearing good things about that X movie in multiple places too, gonna have to check it out.

Yeah, X was something else for sure. It’s wearing its influences on its sleeve, but still offer something else. It also offers a lot of depth.

Good to hear! I’ll also be checking out the new Wyrmwood, didn’t even know they made a sequel (so thx for bringing it to my attention)! The first one was tons of fun.

Yeah, it was a bit sudden the release of Wyrmwood Apocalypse. They announced they would make a sequel already in 2015 but then they ended up making Nekrotronic, which I think is very underrated. Then they announced a series under the title Wyrmwood: Chronicles of the Dead, which only ended up having a teaser. So weird. But we finally got the film, although I think the hype around it would’ve been much bigger had they finished it up a lot sooner. But the film ended up really well, and I might have been slightly harsh in my review actually. But it was really fun.

Ticks
How the hell have I not seen this early 90’s, Brian Yuzna-produced horror movie by Tony Randel (Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Fist of the North Star)? This was a direct-to-video release, but man was this a mad fucking blast. It has that Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna vibe to it, and it’s really energic and up-beat in lack of a better description. Gorgeous special effects and a terrific cast makes this one a must-see. Awesome!