New band Petit Brabancon forms (feat. DIR EN GREY, MUCC members)

I’m not particularly interested in reading them talk about their worldview, Deg has been a stagnating struggle act lost between genres for good ten years at this point, it’s obvious that Kyo wants out.

1 Like

I don’t think they were asking you to read about their “worldview”, but the assumptions you made in your prior comment about their reason to start this band (which you are obviously interested in)

beloved I know this scene well enough to know that when a dimlim single suddenly becomes a dimlim album there will be none of those released altogether, but you can go ahead and get your life to band members saying words to market their new beginnings without killing hype for what they’re actively trying to leave behind, which is super obvious with the way Kyo has been treating everything about Deg in the past few years.

if this was announced as a time-limited project to go alongside with his next artbook, or a biography, or as a bunch of other FWD-adjacent nobodies (there’s no shortage of FWD bandmen who can write in miya’s style for what it’s worth, there’s a bunch of PS Company members staying low as well who can produce on that level, if not better) I would have reacted differently.

Meh I don’t see it. Deg has been going strong for over 20 years. I don’t see that changing. Come rub it in my face if I end up being wrong though.

3 Likes

From what I gathered from the interview, they’re saying that they don’t really have much of a long-term game plan with this project, they just wanted to do it for a while (Kyo and yukihiro that is), and now they’ll see where it goes without stressing on any concrete future goals.

Also Kyo literally mentioned that his dream is to be in 4-5 projects at the same time, so I doubt this little random side-project of all things would put a nail in DEG’s coffin anytime soon.

12 Likes

Dir en grey won’t go anywhere until the five members can’t make it work anymore or until one of them passes (please not anytime soon). It’s a cash cow for all of them and a once in a lifetime opportunity for any band really. It’s the springboard for them to do other crazy stuff like this. I don’t really expect super bands to last very long, but if we can get at least a mini out of these guys then I think we’re good.

4 Likes

Deg is an old man band now anyway. There’s no pressure to innovate and they don’t need to announce their breaks, so I don’t see why they would disband. Unless I’m missing something.

3 Likes

Enjoying what I’m hearing so far. Really looking forward to the full song.

In the interview, Kyo says he let Miya give him vocal melodies to sing for this and two other songs, rather than coming up with the melodies himself. I like to think he’s allowing himself to be a bit more collaborative, and maybe that will bleed in to his other projects. I DO really like the melodies we can hear in the preview so far, what Miya wrote definitely fits the tone and timbre of Kyo’s voice.

4 Likes

It’s interesting because Yukihiro only did the drums part, he didn’t compose the song. But still, the song have a L’Arc en Ciel vibe with heavier sound haha. I already notice that his drumming had a strong personality, it’s also cool that he keeps the same drum kit with this band… !

2 Likes

Kyos work is not influenced by the rest of the band, in that aspect he propably holds every project equally dear to heart

DEG slowing down their activity over the years – along with members being creative outside the band – is probably what’s keeping them from disbanding.

3 Likes

It’s time for Kaoru to have a side project

1 Like

heaavvyyyyy syncopation and i love it, i’ve heard things like this in jazz or afrobeats but never in vkei before
if this is what l’Arc’s drums are like i gotta give another try at listening to them…

1 Like

the chorus’s vocal melody sounds like Kyo doing a mucc cover and i mean that in the best of ways, his voice fits well into Tatsurou’s weird slidey intervals
i could absolutely see this coexisting w/ Diru & Sukekiyo; this gives me more of a punk/metalcore feel whereas Diru’s lately seemed more like ‘Metal Proper’

plus idk i think i’m optimistic about a version of Dir en grey that puts out new albums once every five or so years; i like to be nostalgic and still imagine them working together, but it’s clear there’s an idea of how Diru sounds that’s stricter than what everyone could do outside that group

For L’Arc I recommend you most of their early albums nowadays most of their songs are very very generic with no soul.

2 Likes

Absolutely! When I first heard the preview the impression I got I’d that it was old/heavy mucc with Kyo on vocals.

It seems that Tasurou and Miya wanted to go deeper into different stuff and they’ll do that with side projects while doing a little bit of everything with mucc. I wish they just refocused mucc more clearly but this has the potential to be more interesting given they are collaborating with interesting artists such as Kyo…

Sounds cool to me. Got to agree that DeG are past their 2000s nu metal days so going back to a style like this would be weird. But actually this single minute is better than I expected so curious to hear the full single.

2 Likes

Remember that time when you thought it was “super obvious” Dir en grey were done touring overseas, and then a month later they announced overseas tours?

Good times.

8 Likes

no, because I’m not my own obsessed stalker, but keep those notes hunny :blush:

3 Likes

My little babushka :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like