Similar Songs

Uhhhhh…maybe im reaching but listen to the main riff and then the melody of the chorus in the beyonce song… Its been bugging me for years and i couldn’t put my finger on it until today

I hear it.

I will never not think about these two

This Italian song “Gloria” published in 1979(Umberto Tozzi-Gloria - YouTube)

And “Ma cherie” by malice mizer published in 1994(Malice Mizer - Ma Chérie ~ Itoshii kimi e ~ (2011) - YouTube)

5 Likes

Wow, never made the connection, but now I can’t unhear it and my mind inserts the Gloria chorus into Ma Chérie…

4 Likes

Added another song thats similar.

These two songs sound incredibly similar. Am I the only one that thinks this?

I just realized, the chorus melody of Solitude by Moi dix Mois…

…sounds an awful lot like a ripoff of the chorus of Fascism by La’cryma Christi. :male_detective:

6 Likes

The guitar solo in the Nostradamnz ‘at the hard night’ is really similar to the vocal melody in Luna Sea’s ‘True Blue’ chorus

3 Likes

The percussion struck me as pretty similar between these two.

2 Likes

Penicillin’s Inazuma and System of a down’s Chop Suey have a pretty similar intro. Funnily enough, Penicillin released Inazuma a few months before Chop Suey came out

2 Likes

this arashi song sounds an awful lot like everybody by backstreet boys imo

2 Likes

=

1 Like

犬式 Inushiki - 真正的国家 (2022)

Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto (1969)

This one speaks for itself.

1 Like

This kinda sounds like Yurameki right?

4 Likes

Recently while I’ve been playing some of my old faves on YouTube I’ve been randomly suggested this Raphael song. And suddenly I heard something curious that I haven’t noticed until now- if you listen carefully until the end you can hear a phrase quoted from classical music. Namely- Kazuki playing Brahms’ Hungarian Dance though in different key/rhythm (skip to 4:07). I was quite surprised to hear it but strangely it blends pretty well with the rest of the song.

Original song

Curious to hear more examples!

I originally wanted to make a thread to discuss plagiarism/tribute but that’s a separate thread and it already exists, so now let’s focus on sampling.

7 Likes

It gives me always such a weird feeling when I hear out the Logic Pro EDM samples Visual Kei bands use for their tracks.

(Might edit later the post to post the actual loop on here)

3 Likes

I’m sorry I’m not exactly sure which classical song this is but you can hear it around 3:34

2 Likes

what’s the difference between sampling and stealing/rip-off? because i wanted to put the Entirerity of Gazette’s DOGMA here.

Für Elise… I would say キズ also “ripped” this off with ELISE

1 Like

Sampling is when an artist takes part of a pre-existing sound source / recording and inserts it into their own song, sometimes even constructing an entire new composition out of it (as opposed to recreating the same melodies or arrangement with his/her own instruments). A famous example: the main/hook section of this Rick James song was cut out and looped, had a new drumbeat put onto it, and voilá… MC Hammer’s hit Can’t Touch This.

But sampling can also be as simple as taking a line from a movie and putting it into your song for atmospheric effect (e.g. Rob Zombie and his old band White Zombie had tons of material full of old horror movie audio snippets sprinkled all over their songs).

In short, sampling is literally copy-and-pasting, no effort of playing an instrument needed.

I’m actually struggling to think of any visual kei examples of this practice, but would be cool to find some… there must be some songs out there. :thinking:

2 Likes