the GazettE

Yeah. You get it. Great bands definitely shine live…

but the live sound industry has hardly changed its practices in the last 20 years, whereas the recording industry has dramatically changed (almost all in bad ways, since production standards peaked in like 2009).

1 Like

What did you think of the 20th anniversary live? I can really feel that they spend much less money on the live, even the silver confetti didn’t have anything written on them, idk it’s so cheap. The merch is also much more effortless than it used to be, while the prices stay the same. I really hope they’re trying to put more money in their pockets because of the post-corona crisis and they will do a better job with stuff like that in the future…

The live was fun. Maybe not as much diversity on the setlist as you’d expect for a 20th anniversary show, but it was still good. They completely blew it with the merch though. I think the designs were cute, but they should’ve done pre-orders instead of having a crashing website where near everything was sold out by the time you had stable access. Mess.

1 Like

They didn’t learn from the Ninth pv premier on their site

1 Like

They did. They said it was the biggest server they ever had as far as I remember. So at least they tried.

What do you think, where will they go next with the visuals?

Seems like they settled for releasing an album every 3 years, so we still have ~1.5 years till it’s even announced and we have time for playing the guessing game.

Their 2010-2014 era went with the 'hand cream aesthetics", thin fonts and slim lines, then came Dogma that was a concept album, followed by Ninth with 90’s brutalist graphic design that made a mainstream comeback around 2016-17 and became really refined with Mass (peaks in the book) and while they don’t just straight out copy the current trends they are clearly inspired by it and incorporate elements they like.

So with the current resurgence of early 2000’s aesthetic, can we expect a Limp Bizkit x Machine Gun Kelly inspired pantsuit on Ruki?

4 Likes

Any info whether Ruki really had his face done at some point (as in cosmetic surgery, his face looks almost MiA-like)? Either he is being photoshopped heavily or there is something else going on that we don’t know about…

@TinkyWinky if it helps at all, Ruki sometimes drops hints about whatever fancies him visually on his insta Login • Instagram and imho MASS aesthetics seem to do the same kind of throwback that non-rock groups like Brockhampton did before their indefinite hiatus.

I think they will use a lot of electronic stuff like in mass but shutting down the heaviness or make a really electronic stuff full of screaming and guitar solos? And seeing the edit of the pics on twitter (especially Uruha) I think it’s just the filter+photoshop, they look like poreless worms or like that they just over used the blur option in face app.

I dont care for speculation, I just wait and digest what comes.

I honestly forget that these guys are still around to be honest.

You’re not the only one

2 Likes

To be fair, 90% of the graphs for any vk band look like this

6 Likes

Except for most VK bands, the graph would only be 1-2 years instead of almost 20.

The GazettE have built a career on being aggressively mediocre with moments of brilliance dotted throughout. When’s the last time they tried something really new?

Not surprised people are losing interest.

4 Likes

1-2 years and no highlights point :rofl:

These boys are one of the best remains from the VK Golden Age era around 2000’s… however, people not only lost interest around ~2015 for them, but for the whole VK scene which is in a downfall since. Including the long lasting bands like the saint trio The GazettE/DIR EN GREY/MUCC.

7 Likes

I guess it is no surprise at all that the Gazette (or GazettE, Idk which one now) is influenced by both Luna Sea and Slipknot.

Did they ever mention any exact Slipknot albums they are into? GazettE doing drop As in guitars/bass since TOXIC sounds a lot like they enjoyed IOWA very much.

Iowa is probably one of them, seeing how Ruki, uhm, copied some lyrics word-for-word from it in the song VORTEX, haha.

1 Like

Care to share? Don’t want to go through now all Slipknot lyrics.

The only thing you really know about me is…
You can’t take my soul away from me
The only thing you really know about me is…
I can’t answer your silly wish

the Gazette “Vortex”

Their fingerprints are hidden by control
This is where the line is drawn, see
You can’t take my soul away from me (x6)

Slipknot - New Abortion

Not going to assume that Iowa inspired them to do the “Beautiful Deformity” cover art yet though.

2 Likes

Besides the one mentioned above, these lines are also from Slipknot’s Iowa:

“The only thing you really know about me is…” is from the song “My Plague”.
“Too tragic to stay with you” is from the song “The Shape”.

6 Likes

Also, the song “Rage” from Dogma bears some similarities to “People = Shit”.

Though, to be fair, DEG’s “Reiketsu Nariseba” does too.

1 Like