What are your thoughts on Visual Kei TikTok?

Some of the kids got to Kiryu and Babykingdom and I’m crying
I’m not going to babysit them

I got someone on my fyp who makes Isshiki Hiyori picture edits, and everyone is commenting how cute and innocent he is. Bruh he fucked girls back in his hotel room and stuff, it’s all on Tanuki hfngfhhfhfghf
Innocent who?? Just bc he wears pink dresses? Nah fam.

4 Likes

Not to mention the newly coined term “Visual kei core”

afbeelding
It got more attention that it should have.

Kei already means core in a sense, so this is actually like saying “Chai tea”…

6 Likes

well thats definitely something :sob: but im most definitely sure no one there knows what tanuki is or knows how to operate it sadly so thatd explain the lack of info but still jesus didnt know he did that :sob: ty for the info

1 Like

o yeah thats stupid for sure :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I just simply have always hated short form content, so I don’t know anything about what vk tiktok is like but because tiktok is just short form content I have 0 interest in it, just not for me.

5 Likes

The sooner TikTok is banned globally the better.

8 Likes

yh theres barely any info about j anything on there its either just bandmen edits or j stupid shit like vids of ai falling off the stage etc

1 Like

lmaooo :sob:

1 Like

in my experience, having marginally more than superficial interest in any fandom or hobby is enough to stay the f. away from tiktak; astrology internet in particular is a very entertaining place that shits on tikteekers without any remorse whatsoever.

I don’t see VK being too popular with the basement-dwelling dopamine addict-tier gang at the core of that app. it does not have the fandom outreach that the “it” music scenes have.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve never understood the trend of platforms limiting what you can do, back in the day I loved Myspace because it had everything, music, videos, blogs, you could customize every detail of your profile. Then one day everyone moved to Facebook for some reason which I really didn’t like since it was just a lamer Myspace with a fraction of the features, then twitter became popular where its just status updates but it limits how much you can type, which prevents any meaningful discussion from taking place. Tiktok just seems to be a limited version of YouTube to me, I don’t understand the purpose of it.

7 Likes

Also speaking of Tiktok kids
Where the fuck are they on Kaneto Juusei’s Twitter? I see them spam Chill on Instagram, meanwhile Uru has only a fraction of Chill’s followers. On Twitter it’s like a desert.

Shows a lot about how these kids only circle jerk on Tiktok of how big fans they are, when they’re barely interacting with the band itself.

-Edit-
They only reply to some selfie posts, but not every single one of them. It’s either a whole lot of reactions, or barely any. This is still mainly for Uru (seriously what did he do to deserve this)

4 Likes

Most def true but theres a possibility itll become very popular on there within a few years as theres a shit ton of new vk “fans” emerging from there

1 Like

Tbh I don’t like tiktok in general. Takes the old school 'hey here’s a brain numbing distraction" to like the next level of super distracting videos in the form of a reel.

That aside, I feel like its good for like if vkei bands wanna do a pv spot posting it on tiktok as a short video. Or do like short videos of those live performances to have fans see what their fav band is like live without spending too much time but beyond that I don’t understand the point of tiktok for music that much.

4 Likes

VK doesn’t monetize the same ways other, more accessible genres do.

there’s a decline in offline vk-specific retail space and offline publications which hypothetically might push band members from twitter on tiktok, but with majority of people on the app not speaking japanese, and majority japanese musicians not being fluent in English, there won’t be a lot of interaction happening back to back.

8 Likes

14 Likes

My impression is that most of the people on ‘‘vk tiktok’’ are chronically online teenagers, and teenagers are prone to being obnoxious and ignorant, which is why I dislike it and stay away from it completely.

4 Likes

Before I made a comment, I wanted to check vk tt again since I have stayed away from it for a very long time. I always thought tt would be a good place for vk because of visual nature of it, and I’m glad to see some great fashion vids and just generally entertaining content I wouldn’t really come across on YT like this comment from Kazuki (xaa-xaa)

I still would rather not interact with the community there because everyone is so young, and tbh some of the edits are brain hemorrhage inducing, and yes the drama that comes from tt is damn stupid. But eh, overall it’s keeping some life in a dying subculture and vids like this are even helpful

2 Likes

where’s the superlike reaction button tbh

2 Likes

My impression is most tiktokers (no idea if that’s spelled correctly) always jump on things for their a e s t h e t i c and V I B E S ~and not necessarily because they actually like a certain hobby/Fandom/music/subculture. That’s not just limited to VK, of what I have seen (I am not actively on there) there are just as many kids claiming they are Uber-Goff because they like spooky shit (but haven’t even a clue who Bauhaus is) and Black Metal too seemed to have blown up, but just solely for the edgy aesthetic, not the music (a lot of TkTokers when the find out about how problematic~ the BM scene is either immediately stop liking it or they go into full blown “akshually Varg wasn’t bad, just misuderstood teen” denialism mode). I am sure most of them will eventually find something else soon.

With VK TikTok it’s the same. Peeps over there latch onto a certain set of bands and musicians they fap over and claim to be hardcore fans of, despite not even really giving a shit about those bands in reality and off their app. I partially blame those youtube reaction channels that made Malice Mizer among others online-semi-famous.

What i noticed too is that TikTok is kinda like the Gen Z on speed version of tumblr (meets Vine meets instagram). There’s a lot of non-binaries and “special haircolor people” on there - which itself isn’t a bad thing, don’t misunderstand me. But like in the good old tumblr days these people will cling onto anything remotely “exotic” (that is “non-white”/“non-western”) and gender-noncomforming and pretty much instill their own worldview and conditions into it. VK was and is still a perfect platform for these people to project a lot of their western ideas of “queerness” onto it. I get when you are minority you tend to obsess over things that seem to be more aligned with how you are… but people can often become extreme about it. Like TikTokers who treat all bandomen as nonbinary and misgender them constantly, make up fantastical stories about how Mana is actually trans (despite there being no evidence for it). They actually end up playing into gender roles rather then debunk them by doing the whole “man in dresses are nb/trans” rhetoric. That reminds me a bit of my teenage days when we young VK fans too were obsessed with bandomens sexuality, like how we always tried to make them all gay in our heads because hawt crossdressing men are obviously open-minded and queer… which is far from the actual truth (that some bands are sexist and homophobic af). So it’s also naive ignorance at play here.

And that obsession leads ofc into the infantilization of VK bandomen. Idealizing that much because you have an imagined parasocial relationship with them because of perceived similarities can make one oblivious to the fact that musicians and artists are just people - they make and say dumb things and can happen to have views that are not matching yours. But that’s impossible when you have that mindest that your “quweer, non-binary, hawt bandomen from the mystical East UwU” are angelic beings who can never do wrong. And when they actually do and the illusion of VK being “non-problematic” is broken they double down hard, like the Spanish Inquisition (see the Ai incident…). I mean we kids in the early 2ks were similar, but thankfully our mental poop didn’t go viral and didn’t pull others in to join the delusions we had.

tldr young people on TikTok form parasocial relationships with bands and musicians whose aesthetic they like (often for the reason that’s it’s different from their mainstream culture, exotic and/or “queer” - in the sense of projecting western values of sexuality onto different cultures) and social media makes it so that people jump onto trend bandwagons and they are extreme about it in ways that are unhealthy and annoying.

14 Likes

Through TikTok, more people can learn about visual kei music and culture, and participate in this community.

In addition, TikTok’s short video format makes the content easier to digest, which allows more people to quickly understand the characteristics of visual kei, including fashion, makeup, music and performances. This trend could also help visual kei bands and artists expand their audiences and increase their visibility globally.

2 Likes